Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Big Red is cured....almost.

Charlotte Vespa has fixed Big Red!
Despite only one mechanic, who twisted his ankle so bad that he could not come to work, lots of backed up scooters to repair, holidays, the part time mechanic wrecking his scooter and breaking ribs, they worked Big Red in and diagnosed the problem and it is that damn spark plug wire. Though it felt secure on the coil to me when I checked it (my fat hands do not fit in there well), it was not firmly in place. That and the fact that a rat or something had dined on it (we did have a rat problem over the winter) did not help. So, once securely in place, he fired right up and said he is ready to roll.

I want to thank you for all your emails to Charlotte Vespa to wish him well, but I have been asked by Mike, the owner, to please ask that no more be sent. Seems as though it disrupted business and I apologize to Charlotte Vespa for the inconvenience. However, you still have time to send cards and letters.

I want to thank Rodney, the twisted ankle mechanic, for doing such a great job. Despite the ankle and the shop full of Vespa's, he kindly devoted time to Big Red so we could get back on the road. He called me almost every day with updates. I was a little worried about the O2 sensor/vr relationship, but as I said that was just separation anxiety. Thank you Rodney and I appreciate all your efforts.

If the new spark plug lead comes in, I will be back on the road this weekend to finish the "I don't know where I am going, but I am on my way". I think I may even take a week or so to cover the final 600 miles.

Red when he was feeling better.