Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Scoot and me reunite on the road

I had to make a trip to N.C. for business and a family reunion. Vicki was not going, so I could not use her car and mine was not up to the trip. That's easy to fix. I will buy a new car. Well, the dealer and I could not come to agreement on what a new car is worth. So, plan B is the train but the train tickets are so expensive now that it would make a airline executive blush with envy. Plan C is a airplane, but as you know I would rather take a beating than ride for free on the airline. 

That left the scooters. Scoot and me had not been on a road trip since Big Red came to the garage and I decided to "dance with the one that brought me" to where I am. Scoot took me on my first trip through the south and my first trip across America and back and it was time for us to hit the road together again.


The most dangerous part of any trip to me is leaving and returning to the Tampa Bay area. In recent years I have left via the expressways, but that is on Big Red that can run highway speeds.
Scoot can not run that fast but I thought it would be safer to use the expressway than stop and go traffic with a lot more cars aiming for me. The only actual worrisome part is the 16 miles or so it takes to cross the Howard Franklin Bridge on I-275 to the Veterans/Suncoast expressway where there is almost no traffic.  Leaving at 6:30 on Sunday morning put us on the road with few cars. The biggest problem is doing 20 mph less than the other traffic and the chance of someone coming on you a lot faster than they realize and run over you. We made it with no problem. 





The rest of the ride up was a usual fun ride. So much fun, we got to Garner a day earlier than we had planned.


 The jackass had that dog on about a 2 foot chain. If I could have caught I would called the police though I doubt that would have got much response in rural Georgia.


 South Carolina's finest wines