Friday, May 3, 2013

Holly Tree to Lexington

Wednesday

Big Red and me had coffee with Jim early and probably for the last time. Then we drove down Holly Tree Manor's half mile drive.




Today we did not meander a lot as we had a nine hour ride in front of us.  We were able to plan some good back roads to keep us moving in the right direction. There were very interesting signs in one area. Due to traffic and no shoulders I was not able to get pictures of but a few. One not captured said "Don't Divorce, Keep America Strong"????







 the end of US 79







Big Red and me rolled into Lexington about 4:30 and called it a day.


 not sure which was better to see after a long day. the smiling faces of Tyler and Jill or......

.....a cold marq!!!

Thursday
There was a little bad planning on coming to Lexington this week on my part.  The Kentucky Derby is this weekend and all the farms I had hoped to visit were either booked or closed for special events. Fortunately Keenland Race track is still operating the same.  There are no races but there a lot of beautiful horses exercising and being groomed. It is a great place to visit as they give full access to go anywhere you wish.







 this is charlie and his trainer. charlie was brought up by the stable from Louisiana for one race that he missed. the trainer says he is more of a mascot than a racer as he has only won one race in his life so he has gotten a lot of free meals. 
 what is that in the middle of the field??



From there I just went riding through the horse country. This is one of the most beautiful areas in the U.S. with huge farms and Kentucky bluegrass. Outside Georgetown, I came across Paul and Jim broke down on the side of the road.  I stopped to lend assistance but they were just out of gas. They are my kind of people. Running out of gas is just part of the adventure of life to them. They are both retired professors and had hoped to visit the retired horses and play golf today.  I do not know if they made it as Big Red and I departed after the gas arrived. 


vespa to the rescue


i'm stylin'