Friday, May 3, 2013

Memphis to Holly Tree Manor, Trenton, Tn.

Monday

As mentioned earlier, I wanted to go visit Jim and Barbara Smith again this summer.  When I sent her a note I got this email answer:
Dear Ken,
Thank you so much for your note and request.  Regretfully we must tell you that we have discontinued accepting overnight guests. We decided recently to close our Bed and Breakfast; the decision is so recent, in fact, that we have not yet posted the news on our web site or Face Book page, or even filed the necessary paper work for closing. We are getting on in age and have, for some time, felt the effects of the work involved. Jim is 79 and I am 75 so you can see that could be the main problem. Both of us have had heart problems and now Jim has had a recurrence of an old problem.  As a consequence, we plan to retire once more back to Florida.  Of course, we have no idea when this might be and regret our decision to close was not otherwise, as we’ve had so many guests and have made so many new friends. 

My heart sank when I read that part.  But I was quickly thrilled when I read on:

Now, having stated all of that and you being a repeat guest and no trouble---that is, being willing to take your breakfast at To The Last Drop Coffee Shoppe---we will just delay filing the necessary papers for closing until after April 30th.  Your room is now ready.  Look forward to seeing you again on the 29th.

So today we leave Memphis and Elvis in the rear view mirror and under warm skies, a big change from the last few days, we head north to Trenton.


Big Red is ready to go


We finished our business and began to meander about 10 AM north along the Mississippi. It was a beautiful day up the twisting back woods roads.  A couple of times the pavement ran out but we pressed on.  Near Drummonds TN we passed Dejuan Richardson setting on his front porch playing the guitar. We did a quick U turn to check it out.  Dejuan says his main instrument is the organ at his church and is not very good at on guitar.  I beg to differ as I thought he was pretty damn good.  He played and sang but would not let me record him when he was singing. I do not know if he was being shy or cautious, but I think he had a great voice. A picture with Big Red and we were on our way.




We continued to meander along the Mississippi.






 the mighty mississippi on the riase


 At 3 PM we were 3.3 miles from Holly Tree Manor, but between us and the Manor was bridge under construction.  We learned much later that our meandering ways had brought us to the bridge down the road from the detour signs.  I do not know how long the official detour was but ours was 26 miles and almost a hour of riding. We were very pleased to be met by Barb and Jim as we rolled up the half mile driveway.

Tuesday

Jim, Barb and me went into Trenton TN for breakfast at the Last Drop Coffee shop, a bastion of liberals in a GOP county, but some way it seems to flourish. From there I went for a ride around the countryside.





 Timbo, of timbo bail bonds, was just one of the many that were impressed with me riding from florida

 i stopped in the shade to wait for the train to move on.  it did not. the engineer came by and said it was broke and it would be a long wait.  it was a long train and blocked every crossing in the town of Milan

 ray and barb have been running this general store since 1964




This weekend is the teapot festival in Trenton. Barb and Jim had recommend that I go visit the museum  I said "ho-hum" but after everyone for the cowboy to the highway patrolman said I should go I decided I should.  I was really, really impressed.  Who knew that there could be such art work in teapots. As a bonus, they were having a art competition in the museum also. There are over $500,000 in teapots in the museum and if it is closed you can walk next door any time day or night and get the key from the fire department.




Back at Holly Tree Manor I went to visit the horses.  I was feeling loved when they came up to see me but they kept looking over my shoulder.  It was not me at all they came to see, it was Jim coming up behind me with food.





As I have told in the past, Barbara is famous in the Elvis circles and people search her out and she and Jim are paid to attend Elvis events. I asked why she was so famous in this circle and not her friends that dated Elvis in the same time frame. She said it is probably because she was  dating Elvis when he became famous and is in hundreds of photos with Elvis. She was good friends with Elvis's mother and grandmother long after she and Elvis broke up and talks lovingly of how nice they were.
http://www.barbarahearn.com/




Jim and Barb have decided to close down the B&B.  It is a great honor that I was selected as their last guest.  Now in their late 70's the B&B is more than they care to handle and are moving to Florida to be with their children and grand-children.

So, if anyone wants a ready to go beautiful B&B contact the Holly Manor B&B.

http://www.hollytreemanor.us.com/